We are looking for Trip Leaders to lead our Hacker Paradise starting with our winter and spring trips in South America and Southeast Asia and wherever we decide to go after that.
Your job is to make sure the trip runs smoothly and everyone has an awesome time. The job requires a deep understanding of who our participants are and what they are looking for.
A Trip Leader’s main goals are to:
- Cultivate Community: It’s a Trip Leader’s job to connect people, keep the community engaged, set the right culture, and make sure Hacker Paradise remains a safe space for everyone to come together and contribute. People that participate in Hacker Paradise trips often end up working together and forging long-lasting bonds.
- Support Growth: At Hacker Paradise, we highly value personal and professional growth. The Trip Leader works to understand the goals of each of our participants and tries to help them achieve those goals during the trip.
- Keep things running smoothly: On the trip, there will be the day-to-day of keeping the program running. Part of the Trip Leader’s job is to deal with the inevitable hiccups that come along the way and to ensure that participants have as smooth of an experience as possible.
Responsibilities for a trip leader fall into roughly two categories: managing the community and facilitating on the ground.
Community manager responsibilities include:
- Set the culture of the group
- Manage conflict within the community
- Onboard and engage new members of the community
- Connect with the local community through events
- Cultivate connections between members of the community
- Seek feedback from the group and iterate on our processes & structure
- Help manage the Hacker Paradise social media
- Be an active participant on Slack and at social events
Facilitation responsibilities include:
- Organize weekly talks, workshops, and lunches
- Address Wi-Fi issues
- Take care of the projector, the router, and other Hacker Paradise gear
- Handle logistics for arrivals and departures & issues for housing and coworking spaces
We’re looking for people who can commit to at least one year of traveling & working with Hacker Paradise. There will be 3 weeks every several months for you to recharge.
We’re looking for people who have experience:
- Leading and managing groups of people, especially in a role outside of a normal 9-5 office job (being a camp counselor, RA-ing in college, managing people, etc.)
- Organizing events (conferences, hackathons, meetups, etc.)
- Working with creative and technical people (bonus points if you’re creative and/or technical yourself)
- Resolving conflict (non-violent communication, etc.)
- Working with high autonomy, either professionally or on your own projects
- Living or traveling abroad for extended periods
The best part about Hacker Paradise for us has been the ability to (1) travel the world and (2) be part of a fantastic community, developing friendships that last far beyond the trips themselves.
In terms of financial compensation, you will receive free travel, housing, & coworking when leading a trip and a stipend on top of that for living expenses during the trip.
Your role should involve an average of 35 hours per week of formal work. Some weeks may involve more or less than that depending on activities, and there may be a fair amount of informal work (people asking you about logistics at dinner or during off-hours).
You might opt to work on some small side projects. However, Hacker Paradise must be your number one priority during this period. If a conflict arises, we’ll expect you to put your role with us over your other commitments.